3.23.2010

365 - Here we go!

So I've decided to give myself a birthday present. (It's my birthday, by the way). I am starting a 365 photo project today. I will post 1 photo every day of my 28th year of life. Why am I doing this? Well, a few reasons...

1. I am a professional photographer and I love my job, but I often find that I'm only taking photos when I being paid to do so. I want to continue to love what I do for a living and I think it's important to take photos of things I'm not being paid for as well. I can only imagine that this will make me look at my professional work in a new light (pardon the expression...).

2. It's a challenge. I like to challenge myself to be a better person, a better husband, a better father, and now, a better photographer. I am good enough at all those things, but I can always be better and it often takes challenging yourself to make you better at something.

3. It's cool. Everyone is doing it... And that's not a bad thing. There are so many moments in our day that get ignored simply because we aren't taking a moment to look around. This project forces me to look around, find those moments, and share them with all of you.

So now that I have the "why" what about the "how?" I have seen many people attempt the 365 and it is quite a challenge at first. They end up taking photos at 11:59PM of their clock because they didn't get anything else that day. I'm not saying I'm better than that, but I'm saying I don't want to have to resort to this and knowing myself, I would. Instead, I have decided to do more of a 52:7 project. No, that's not a bible passage, I plan on focusing (literally and figuratively) on a different subject, style or theme each week, for 52 weeks.

Being self-diagnosed with a mild case of ADD, I think this will be a good way to make the whole year seem less daunting and possibly even more interesting. I was always more interested in the books with short chapters (check out sideways stories from wayside school - it was my favorite book in 5th grade) and this is my way of giving myself, and you, my followers, a lot of short chapters. I will pick a different theme each week and all 7 photos for that week will be some interpretation on this theme. I've come up with a good list of different themes, but I welcome your suggestions of something you would want to see. It could include a particular subject (My daughter Matilda will definitely be one week at least) or a technique or style, like black & white or one specific lens.

The deal:
1. I take one photo each day related to the theme of the week
2. I post that photo the following day to my blog and facebook. Yes, I will post today's photo tomorrow. Why? So that I have the whole day to look for something and not be worried that I won't get it posted in time. Then I can post the photo first thing the next morning. Just logistics.
3. On the 7th day, when I should be resting, I will try to write a post about the experience of the past week's theme. If I don't get to it, don't sue me. I'll do my best, but as you can tell, my brevity comes in the form of images, not words so it may take me a little bit to get it all out.
3. You comment, like, dislike, critique, send smoke signals, shower me with birthday gifts, etc.
4. On my 29th birthday I will post the final photo and proceed to make a book out of the whole year.

So, to make you all who are still reading enticed a little further, I will print two copies of the book. One for me and one for YOU. You are the person who follows regularly, leaves comments on facebook or mountain standard time, you give words of encouragement and helpful critiques, you are my biggest fan (and not my wife) and offer suggestions for themes. If this is you then you will get my book, because this will only be possible with your support, so thanks in advance.

Here I go. Happy birthday to me.

2 comments:

Jo Strausz Rosen said...

Happy Birthday Brett. This seems like a cool idea and one that could evolve into a book down the road - more special because you are doing it for you, and can one day explain your photo choices to your beautiful daughter. Enjoy the experience. I will be watching!
Jo Strausz Rosen

Deanna said...

An awesome initiative! Maybe one of your weeks could focus on capturing time...