8.05.2010

133:365 Abstract 8.2.10

purple-bokeh.jpg
purple corn.

So now that abstract is done, I have come to appreciate good abstract photos much more that I previously did. I actually thought this would be a pretty easy week, but it turned out to be much more difficult. I define abstract as something that has no easily identifiable object in the image and looks at the light, color, shape or texture more so than any specific subject. I am usually trying to get sharp, well composed images of people, places or objects, so this week forced me to check my natural instincts at the door and see deeper than the physical subject. I found myself deferring to out-of-focus photos that are essentially all bokeh, or the blurry part of a photo (days 131 & 133). Because it was a struggle, it felt a little contrived or cliche most of the time - hopefully the results didn't come across in that way. In short, it's been a humbling week, but that's not a bad thing.

No comments: