8.11.2010

141:365 Negative Space 8.10.10

the-climb.jpg
Positive space.

I spent part of the day photographing for Summer in the City. They are truly a creator of positive space in a place that has gotten such negative press - Detroit. Their volunteer projects range from muraling and community gardening to running free summer camps for children in underprivileged areas. Today I was photographing at the Latino Mission Society in southwest Detroit. SITC runs a camp there where they have an average of 80 kids show up every Tuesday through Friday. The kids are paired with a "buddy" and they play games and organized activities and just have an all around good time.

I took lots of photos of the kids and their volunteer buddies. I haven't had time to go through all of them, but here are a few more that fit with the "Negative Space" theme I'm going with this week. I hate to say anything is "negative" about SITC or these kids, so I'll call these "positive space."

under-the-slide.jpg

two-girls-on-bench.jpg
Life is like a box of chocolates...

girl-painting.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

hallway.jpg

boy-at-the-fence.jpg

If you have some free time on Friday, you should stop by for the last day of SITC this summer. It's going to be a blast - I'll be there. Check out their website for more info.

No comments: