4.11.2010

365:19 Black & White 4.10.10

_MG_3733.jpg
Bar Mitzvah Bad Ass.

Shot at Justin's bar mitzvah party last night. He, like many bar mitzvah boys, would flash a fake smile my way whenever I had the camera near him. While I was able to get some portraits with more natural smiles, I liked this serious, bad-ass look. His friends in the background played the part of his "posse". It was actually shot with my new fish-eye lens, but some of the "distortion" was cropped out.

At 13, many boys (and girls) are on the precipice of childhood and quasi-adulthood. I always challenge myself to capture this duality that kids this age often feel. Portraits are often the most telling because it requires the bar mitzvah to be a little uncomfortable, looking at the camera. I do my best to ease their nerves and take lots of photos, but you can't avoid the few telling portraits of this age. When I do get the rare, bar or bat mitzvah that is comfortable in front of the camera it's usually because they are either quite mature, or immature for their age.

In my spare time, I work with 7th and 8th graders as a religious school teacher and I am always amazed at the vast disparity between the kids of this age. There are some who are still very child-like, playing make-believe and making immature jokes (ok, so they all make immature jokes...) and then there are those who are very mature for their age, interested in members of the opposite sex, pop culture, and "being cool". For me, it's an amazing age to capture, if they let you in. Luckily for me, I've gotten pretty good access. Maybe one day I'll put together a gallery of all those awkward moments and glances I've captured at bar and bat mitzvahs.

1 comment:

mitzvahplanner said...

Brett,
I couldn't agree with you more. They want to be so grown up, have the "cool" party and be part of the action. However, they are still not always comfortable in that role or being all dressed up and wanting to let loose but not sure if it is ok. I have an 8th grader and see it all...